FREE TAX PREPARATION
GET YOUR TAXES DONE FOR FREE
Organized by Fairfax County Department of Family Services, the NVACASH Coalition helps families avoid the fees businesses charge to prepare and file taxes. With the help of dedicated and trained volunteers, low-income families throughout Northern Virginia received over $9.5 million in refunds last tax season. Join your neighbors and save your dollars! To find the location nearest you, click here.
Find out more about VITA on YouTube:
For Spanish, click here.
Note to tax payers: The deadline for filing your 2016 federal taxes is April 18, 2017, though all VITA sites close on April 15, 2017. Due to a new federal law, recipients of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) will not receive their tax refund until after February 15, 2017. For more information, click here.
BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS
Please note that the tax preparation software has changed. All tax year 2016 customers, regardless if new or returning, will be required to bring ALL documents listed below.
- Photo ID for you and your spouse if filing jointly.
- Social Security cards or Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN) for everyone in the family.
- All income statements: W-2, W-P, W-2G & 1099, etc.
- All income statements for each working dependent: W-2, etc.
- Voided check for direct deposit.
- Expense documents: dependent care, education-related expenses, home mortgage interest payments.
- Proof of health insurance coverage, i.e. form 1095A, insurance card, Medicare or Medicaid card.
PREFER TO FILE YOUR OWN TAXES?
It safe, easy, and free! Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) sites are available. Trained and certified volunteers will be on-site to answer questions or assist as needed. For a list of available FSA sites, click here.
If you would like to do your own taxes at the comfort of your home, you can also use the following link:
Find out more about FSA sites on YouTube:
To watch the above YouTube video in Spanish, click here.