FREE TAX PREPARATION
GET YOUR TAXES DONE FOR FREE
Organized by Fairfax County Department of Family Services, the NVACASH Coalition helps families avoid the fees businesses charge to prepare and file taxes. With the help of dedicated and trained volunteers, low-income families throughout Northern Virginia received over $9.5 million in refunds last tax season. Join your neighbors and save your dollars!
The deadline for filing your federal taxes next year will be April 18, 2016.
Click here for a list of site locations & hours.
BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS
Please note that the tax preparation software has changed. All tax year 2016 customers, regardless if new or returning, will be required to bring ALL documents noted below.
- Photo ID for you and your spouse if filing jointly.
- Social Security cards or Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN) for everyone in the family.
- All income statements: W-2, W-P, W-2G & 1099, etc.
- All income statements for each working dependent: W-2, etc.
- Voided check for direct deposit.
- Expense documents: dependent care, education-related expenses, home mortgage interest payments.
- Proof of health insurance coverage, i.e. form 1095A, insurance card, Medicare or Medicaid card.
PREFER TO FILING YOUR OWN TAXES?
It safe, easy, and free!
Below are links to user-friendly IRS-recommended free tax software options. These options would be most appropriate for taxpayers with very simple tax returns – those with 1 to 2 W-2s, working students earning $30,000 and below, and anyone eligible for the EITC.